8 Disney Live-Action Remakes and Spin-Offs in the Works
Disney is planning to bring many of its animated classics to life on the big screen this year and next year.
Get ready for these eight live-action remakes and spin-offs of animated Disney films.
- Dumbo (March 29): The film is directed by Tim Burton and is based on the animated movie which won an Academy award in 1941.
- Aladdin (May 24): Will Smith is all set to bring the blue Genie back to life in the upcoming remake of the 1992 movie. Director Guy Richie has stepped into “A whole new world” of filmmaking- he never made a musical prior to Aladdin.
- The Lion King(July 19): Simba and his friends must save the animal kingdom from his evil uncle, Scar. James Earl Jones reprises his role in 2019 remake and Beyonce gives her voice to Nala.
- Lady and the Tramp (fall 2019): The voices for the titular characters will be provided by Tessa Thompson and Justin Theroux, real dogs will be playing the characters. The reboot of the 1955 animated feature will debut exclusively on Disney’s upcoming streaming service, Disney+.
- Mulan(March 2020): The production for the movie began in August 2018 by Disney, which is 20 years from the original film’s release. Niki Caro will direct Mulan. She is the second woman to helm a Disney movie with a budget of over $100 million.
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil: The original movie came in 2014 and Angelina Jolie will be reprising her role in the sequel as the sleeping beauty antagonist.
- Cruella: (TBA 2020): Emma Stone plays the chic criminal with a penchant for Pooches in a movie about the villain’s origins. Glenn close previously played the role twice & brought Cruella Deville (love that name) to life in 1966’s 101 Dalmations and the remake in 2000.
- The Sword in the stone (TBA): The 1963 film will get the Live action treatment. It is about a young King Arthur and his lessons from the wizard Merlin.