Anyone can fake their identity on the Internet making it easier for people to Catfish others.
These phony relationships can have real-life consequences including identity theft and falling for scams.
Here are the 6 key signs that you might be falling for a Catfish.
- They won’t pick up a phone call. If the person that you are talking to constantly dodges your call. You might be talking to a Catfish. It is a sign that they may not be who they say they are. Or you may know their voice.
- They have few followers or friends on Social. Catfishing profiles generally have no common friends with you and few social connections.
- The story doesn’t add up. Alarm bells should ring when stories start to stretch credibility.
- They’re using someone else’s phone. Save yourself some heartache and do a Google reverse image search.
- Their only photos are professional. Profile photos that are headshots only are a dead give-away that it is a Catfish.
- They are reluctant to meet. The end game in real life is an in-person meeting. If you can’t ever seem to meet with them it may be a Catfish.