Starbucks Accused of Exposing NY Customers to Toxic Pesticides
Starbucks was slapped with two class action lawsuits in New York City on Tuesday, May 21 and one of them was by 10 Starbucks customers.
One of the lawsuits claims Starbucks continued to expose customers to Dichlorvos. Dichlorvos or DDVP is a poisonous and potentially deadly pesticide emitted into the air by Hot Shot No-Pest Strips.
A dichlorvos poisoning can lead to “nausea, anxiousness, restlessness, teary eyes and heavy sweating.” Further symptoms can include “loss of bladder control, muscle tremors, and labored breathing.
The lawsuit says these No-Pest Strip were found near bagels and pastry displays to control fruit flies in several Manhattan locations.
According to Hot Shot No-Pest Strips’ website, the strips are used to eliminate bugs like cockroaches, maggots, and flies through “a clean, odorless vapor.” Each strip will treat a 900-1,200 cu ft. space, and are not to be placed “in the food/feed areas of food/feed processing or food/feed manufacturing or food/feed service establishments”.
The employees and the exterminators informed the management about the risks of exposure but there wasn’t any appropriate action taken.
Starbucks also fired one of their concerned store manager, a pest control technician and his supervisor who complained. In the other related lawsuit, a Starbucks exterminator is seeking damages following his complaints regarding the strips.
A Starbucks spokesperson responded to the suit by email that insisting participants are arousing public fear for profit.