Upcoming Movies of this Holiday Season
Must-watch Movies Releasing Around Thanksgiving And Christmas 2019
Thanksgiving and Christmas are approaching, which means we are in for treats like mouthwatering food, relaxing holidays, joyful family gatherings, cheerful carols and a lot of big Christmas movies of 2019, which are soon hitting the theatres in November & December to captivate our hearts.
Adults are on a break from their buzzing lives, kids are away from schools, and teens are home from colleges, all celebrating holiday cheer, which makes the festive season a perfect occasion to enjoy good cinema. Mark your calendars, as here we’ve assembled a list of 2019 movies being released between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which will satisfy your holiday movie-going needs.
- A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood – Inspired by the 1998 article “Can You Say… Hero?” by Tom Junod which was published in Esquire, this movie revolves around Lloyd Vogel, a journalist for Esquire who is assigned to profile Fred Rogers. Based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers & Tom Junod, this movie portrays a story of kindness triumphing over cynicism. This beautiful movie shows that how Lloyd Vogel conquered his skepticism and learned about empathy, kindness, and decency from Fred Rogers, America’s most beloved neighbor. Releasing on November 22, 2019, this biographical drama film has already received “universal acclaim” from critics and is about to leave audiences with a message that “It only takes one person to inspire a world of kindness”.
- Frozen II – A sequel to the 2013 film Frozen, this fascinating movie takes place three years after the events of the first film when Elsa starts to hear a strange sound from the north calling her. Elsa together with her sister Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven begin on a new journey beyond their homeland of Arendelle and travel to an ancient, autumn-bound forest of an enchanted land to find the origin of Elsa’s powers in order to save their kingdom. Scheduled to be released on November 22, 2019, this highly anticipated movie is projected to gross around $100 million in its opening weekend and send the audiences and critics ‘over the moon’.
- Knives Out – A modern take on the murder mystery genre, this crowd-pleaser movie centers around wealthy & renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey, who invited his extended dysfunctional family to his remote estate on his 85th birthday in expectations of reuniting them all. However, the day after his birthday, Harlan is found dead by members of his family, and the police with curious and experienced Det. Benoit Blanc is assigned to investigate the case. From Harlan’s dysfunctional family to his loyal staff, everyone becomes a suspect in Harlan’s death in order to uncover the truth behind his sudden death. Highly acclaimed by the critics, this witty, stylish and tremendously entertaining movie that has an ensemble cast is hitting the theaters on the 27th of November 2019.
- Playmobil: The Movie – Based on the German building toy Playmobil, this animated adventure comedy orbits around Marla, a young woman who travels into the colorful and animated world of Playmobil to find her missing younger brother, Charlie. In order to rescue Charlie and bring him back home, Marla is forced to leave her organized and structured life and embark on an incredible, thrilling and unpredictable adventure within this new world, where she begins to see the potential in herself she never dreamed of. With an astounding cast, this movie is releasing on 6 December 2019 in the United States and is about to become a ‘feast for the eyes’ for young viewers.
- Jumanji: The Next Level – In this fantasy adventure comedy movie, Fridge, Martha, and Bethany returns to Jumanji to rescue Spencer, who secretly kept the pieces of the Jumanji video game, and eventually repaired the game in his grandfather’s basement. Eddie Gilpin (Spencer’s grandfather) and his friend, Milo Walker also gets unintentionally sucked into the game before any of Spencer’s friends chose their avatars. With a new adventure offered to them by Nigel Billingsley, the group of teenage friends must help Eddie and Milo to get comfortable with their in-game avatars and have to be brave for the unknown & unexplored parts of Jumanji to find Spencer and escape the world of Jumanji once again. The fourth installment of the Jumanji franchise and sequel to the 2017 film Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, this fascinating movie is coming to theaters on 13th December 2019, to win our hearts and give us a ‘jolly-good’ time.
- Black Christmas – A second remake of the Canadian film Black Christmas (1974), this movie revolves around a group of sorority girls. Hawthorne College is quieting down for the holidays. One by one, sorority girls on campus are stalked and killed by an unknown stalker. However, the killer is about to realize that this generation’s young women aren’t willing to become helpless victims as the young sorority pledges to find the stalker and fight him to the finish, which leads to unraveling that the killer is part of an underground college conspiracy. Slated to release on the 13th December 2019 coinciding with Friday the 13th, this slasher film is about to give us some major hard-core cinematic experience.
- Cats – Based on the stage musical of the same name by Andrew Lloyd Webber (which was based on the Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, a 1939 poetry collection by T. S. Eliot), this movie storyline follows the course of a single night, in which a tribe of cats called the Jellicles, make a really important decision which is known as “the Jellicle choice” and decide which cat will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new life. Directed by Academy Award-winning director Tom Hooper, this cinematic musical has an appealing cast which includes names like James Corden, Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift, Judi Dench, and Idris Elba. Scheduled to be released on 20th December 2019, this musical fantasy film is about to make our holidays more special.
- Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker – The final episode of the nine-part “Skywalker saga”, this amazing movie follows a year after the events of The Last Jedi, the survivors of the Resistance face the First Order once again, while reckoning with the past and their own inner turmoil. Meanwhile, the ancient conflict between the Jedi and the Sith reaches its climax, altogether bringing the Skywalker saga to a definitive end. Releasing on 20th December 2019, this movie is a perfect example of crowd-pleaser and mass appeal. This highly anticipated movie which has a perfect cast, eye-popping visual effects, amazing music, intriguing plot, skilled direction, and awe-inspiring production, is a “must-watch” this festive season.
- Spies in Disguise – Loosely based on Lucas Martell’s 2009 animated short film Pigeon: Impossible, this fascinating movie revolves around Lance Sterling and Walter Beckett. The world relies on Lance Sterling (a highly famous super-spy) to protect it from hazardous threats and Lance often depends on Walter Beckett (a socially awkward scientific genius who graduated MIT at age 15) to invent great gadgets to help him achieve his missions. However, when Walter tries to introduce Lance to his latest invention of “biodynamic concealment”, Lance accidentally ingests Walter’s experimental work and turns into a pigeon. Now, this unlikely duo is forced to team up and must find out how they can save the world from Tristan McFord, a powerful technology-based terrorist mastermind. Hitting the theaters on Christmas Day i.e. 25th December 2019, this computer-animated spy comedy film is about to make our hearts swell and send us to cloud-nine with its captivating storyline, charming voice-cast, and perfectly crafted characters.